Saturday, July 19, 2008

Breakfast, 20080719sa0927

My favorite brands of food bars right now are CLIF BAR, LÄRA BAR, and
KIND. Clif donates funds to organizations that address environmental,
health, and social issues, such as Access Fund, IMBA, and Leave No
Trace. KIND donates 5% of profits to the PeaceWorks Foundation, www.PeaceWorks.net

I washes my running clothes this morning in the shower and now they
are hanging outside in the sunlight. So, they should be dry by tonight
and ready to use tomorrow morning.

There is an apple tree next to the Gypsy wagon that drops fresh apples
and they roll to my doorstep. I like to eat those for breakfast or
have some of the fresh berries and fruits that are growing in trees
here. It's nice to mix fresh foods with the raw food based bars that I
eat. The advantage of eating apples that fall from the tree and roll
to my doorstep is that it avoids the typical supply chain: farmer buys
land, farmer hires workers, workers pick food, corporation buys food,
food gets packaged, marketing department creates artwork for
advertising campaign, cable television company delivers advertisement
to home, consumer gets hungry seeing advertisement, consumer gets in
car, before car can be filled with gas a war must be waged in the
Middle East, gas goes into car, consumer drives car to grocery store,
trucks delivering product go to grocery store, product is
refridgerated, consumer buys product, throws packaging into landfill,
consumer is asked to pay for (or fight in) the war to get more oil for
gas for the car for going to the grocery store, the cycle starts all
over again.

Instead, having an apple roll to my doorway seems like a simple way to
avoid a lot of unnecessary trouble. So, that's why I try to
incorporate them as much as possible into my diet.