Monday, July 7, 2008

At Home Again - High Speed Internet is Working

It's been a long day, and now a late night, but I feel good about all that got accomplished today. One of the accomplishments was to finally get a satisfactory wireless signal delivered to the Mobile Hermitage. I used an Apple Airport Express wireless router to extend the existing network. As you might imagine, I documented the setup process along the way so others could do the same in less time. I'd tried this before, but the Airport Express was still out of range of the Mobile Hermitage, so the signal wasn't reliable and often it was too weak to deliver high speed Internet. When a wireless signal drops too low, your wireless device may still work and give you access to the Internet, but usually this is at significantly slower speeds.

In the past, to get a good connection, I would often sit outside closer to the main wireless router. Tonight it is raining very hard, and so having a quality connection inside makes it possible for me to easily post this update from home.

The photo above is of my notebook connected at high speed, with the benefit of an older lighting technology.